UK Visa

Standard Visitor visa
1. Overview
You can apply for a Standard Visitor visa if you want to visit the UK:

for leisure, for example on holiday or to see your family and friends
for business, or to take part in sports or creative events
for another reason, for example to receive private medical treatment

Check if you need this visa ( if you’re from outside the European
Economic Area (EEA) ( or Switzerland.
Your application will not be accepted and you will not get a refund if you have the right of abode
in the UK ( (for example you’re a British citizen). You need to apply for a certificate of entitlement ( entitlement) instead.


The Standard Visitor visa has replaced the:

If you visit the UK on business
You can apply for a Standard Visitor visa if you want to visit the UK for business-related activities, for
you’re coming to the UK for a conference, meeting or training
you want to take part in a specific sports-related event
you’re an artist, entertainer or musician and coming to the UK to perform 2/9
are an academic and are doing research or accompanying students on a study abroad programme
you’re a doctor or dentist and are coming to the UK to take a clinical attachment or observer post
you want to take the Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) test or sit the Objective
Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE)
you want to get funding to start, take over, join or run a business in the UK

Check the Visitor Rules ( to find the full list of business-related activities you can do with a Standard Visitor visa.

If you’re being paid by a UK company to visit as an expert in your profession, you should apply for a Permitted Paid Engagement visa (
What you can and cannot do
You can:
take part in any of the business-related activities mentioned in the Visitor Rules (
study for up to 30 days (, as long as it’s not the main reason for your visit take part in an exchange programme or educational visit (if you’re under 18) convert your civil partnership into a marriage ( pass through the UK in transit (on your way to another country)
You cannot:
do paid or unpaid work
live in the UK for long periods of time through frequent visits
get public funds (–2)
marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership
Read the guidance ( for more information about
what you can and cannot do with a Standard Visitor visa.
How long it will take
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel.
Example You can apply from 16 March if you plan to travel on 15 June.
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks when you apply from outside the UK.

Find out about paying for a faster decision (

How long you can stay

You can usually stay in the UK for up to 6 months.
You might be able to stay for longer if:
you’re coming to the UK for private medical treatment – up to 11 months (£190 fee)
you’re an academic on sabbatical and coming to the UK for research – you, your spouse or civil partner may be able to stay for up to 12 months (£190 fee)
If you’re staying in the UK as an academic or to receive private medical treatment for longer than 6 months, you must apply for a biometric residence permit (
You might be able to get a visit visa for up to 30 days if you’re a Chinese citizen visiting under the
Approved Destination Status (ADS) Agreement (
If you need to visit the UK regularly
If you need to visit the UK regularly over a longer period, you can apply for a long-term Standard Visitor
visa that lasts 2, 5 or 10 years. You can stay for a maximum of 6 months on each visit.
If you’re under 18 years old when you apply (, your
long-term Standard Visitor visa will only be valid for up to 6 months after you turn 18.
A Standard Visitor visa costs £95.
The fee for a long-term Standard Visitor visa depends on its length:
2 years – £361
5 years – £655
10 years – £822

You must always show that:
you’ll leave the UK at the end of your visit
you’re able to support yourself and any dependents for the duration of your trip
you’re able to pay for your return or onward journey and any other costs relating to your visit
you have proof of any business or other activities you want to do in the UK, as allowed by the
Visitor Rules (
If you’re applying for a long-term Standard Visitor visa
You must prove that:
you’ll only ever need to come to the UK to visit, for example to go on holiday, see family or attend a
meeting 4/9
you plan to leave the UK at the end of each visit
You may be given a visa for a shorter period than requested if you do not do this. You will not get a
refund of the application fee if you get a shorter visa or your application is refused.
Your visa may be cancelled and you may get a long-term ban on visiting if your travel history shows
you’re repeatedly living in the UK for extended periods.
If you’re applying as an academic
You can stay in the UK for 12 months if you’re applying as an academic. You must prove you’re highly
qualified within your field of expertise, on sabbatical leave from your home institution and visiting to
take part in a formal exchange with a UK counterpart
carry out your own research
take part in someone else’s research, teaching or clinical practice – as long as this does not involve
filling a permanent teaching post
If you’re applying to visit for private medical treatment
You must prove that you:
have a medical condition that needs private consultation or treatment in the UK
have made or paid for arrangements for consultations or treatment
have enough money to pay for your treatment, support yourself without using public funds and pay
for your return or onward journey
will leave the UK once your treatment is completed, or when your visa expires
are not a danger to public health if you have an infectious disease, such as leprosy
If you’re applying as an organ donor
You can only visit the UK to donate organs to:
a family member who you’re genetically related to (for example your sibling or parent)
someone you have a close personal relationship with (for example your spouse or friend)
You must prove that the person you’re donating an organ to is legally allowed to be in the UK.

 Documents you must provide
When you apply you’ll need to provide a current passport or other valid travel identification.
You need a blank page in your passport for your visa. Your passport should be valid for the whole of
your stay in the UK.
You’ll also need to provide a certified translation of any documents that are not in English or Welsh.

You’ll be told how to provide your documents when you apply.

Read the full list of supporting documents (
supporting-documents) you can provide.

You might need to provide additional documents if you’re visiting the UK:
for private medical treatment
to apply as an organ donor
as an academic on sabbatical and want to stay for 12 months
as a prospective entrepreneur
to take the Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) test or sit the Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE)
in transit ( to a country outside the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands
Other information you’ll need
You’ll need to provide the following:
the dates you’re planning to travel to the UK
details of where you’ll be staying during your visit
how much you think your trip will cost
your current home address and how long you’ve lived there
your parents’ names and dates of birth
how much you earn in a year
You might also need:
details of your travel history for the past 10 years (as shown in your passport)
your employer’s address and telephone number
your partner’s name, date of birth, and passport number
the name and address of anyone paying for your trip
the name, address and passport number of any family members you have in the UK
details of any criminal, civil or immigration offences you have committed

If you’re under 18
You can apply for a standard visitor visa if you’re under 18 and:
you’ve made suitable arrangements for your travel and stay in the UK
you have consent from your parent or guardian to travel to the UK
you’re able to pay for your return or onward journey
you have enough money to support yourself without working or getting help from public funds, or
you have family and friends that can support you


Travelling alone
You can travel to the UK without an adult (someone over the age of 18).
Your parent or guardian will need to provide their:
written consent for you to travel to the UK
full contact details
They’ll also need to provide proof that you have somewhere suitable to live during your stay in the UK,
the name and date of birth of the person that you will be staying with
an address where you will be living
details of your relationship to the person who’ll be looking after you
consent in writing so they can look after you during your stay in the UK
Travelling with an adult
When travelling to the UK with an adult (someone over the age of 18), you’ll need to identify them in
your visa application.
If the person you’re travelling with is not your parent, you’ll need to provide specific information about
them in your application.
Their name will appear on your visa, and you’ll be refused entry to the UK if you arrive in the UK without
You can identify up to 2 adults in your visa application, and your visa will only be valid if you travel with
at least one of them.
The adult can apply for a visa at the same time, but you must each complete separate applications.

Apply from outside the UK online
You must apply online. As part of your online application, you need to book an appointment at a visa
application centre ( You’ll have your fingerprints and
photograph (known as ‘biometric information’) taken at your appointment.

Find out how to get your visa decision faster (
applications-outside-the-uk) – this depends on what country you’re in. Check if your visa application centre

offers faster decisions and other services.
Apply now (
Apply from within the UK


You might be able to extend your visa ( if you’re
already in the UK.
Apply from North Korea
You cannot apply online if you’re from North Korea. You must instead:

download the form (
term-stay-form-vaf1a) and guidance (

read the instructions (
apply-for-a-uk-visa) on how to apply


Extend your visa
You may be able to extend your visa as long as the total time you spend in the UK is less than 6 months.
For example if you apply for a 3 month visa, you can apply to extend it for 3 more months.
Read the guidance ( to find out if you can extend
your visa.
You should apply before your current visa expires.
If you’re receiving private medical treatment in the UK
You can apply to extend your visa for a further 6 months if you:
have paid for any treatment you’ve already had in the UK
can and will pay the further costs of your treatment
continue to meet the eligibility requirements (
You must also get a medical practitioner or NHS consultant who’s registered in the UK to provide:
proof of arrangements for your private medical consultation or treatment
a letter saying how long your treatment is likely to take
details of the progress of your treatment, if it’s already started
You must apply while you’re still in the UK.
How to extend your visa
You must apply online to extend your visa (
Providing biometric information and supporting documents

When you apply, you’ll be asked to make an appointment at a UK Visa and Citizenship Application
Services (UKVCAS) ( service point to provide your biometric information (your
fingerprints and a photo).
You’ll also need to submit your supporting documents. You can:
upload them into the online service
have them scanned at your UKVCAS appointment
You must not travel outside of the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man until you get a
decision. Your application will be withdrawn if you do.
Get help to apply online
You can get help with completing the online form (
if you:
do not feel confident using a computer or mobile device
do not have internet access
You can only use this service if you’re applying to extend your visa in the UK.
You cannot get immigration advice through this service.

It costs:
£993 to extend this visa
an extra £800 if you use the super priority service
You must also pay £19.20 to have your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo) taken.
How long it takes
A decision will be made within 8 weeks of your application date if you use the standard service.
If you use the super priority service a decision will be made:
by the end of the next working day after your UKVCAS ( appointment if
your appointment is on a weekday
2 working days after your UKVCAS appointment if your appointment is at the weekend
Working days are Monday to Friday, not including bank holidays.
Once you’ve got your decision letter, your biometric residence permit will take up to 10 working days to
You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, for example:

if your supporting documents need to be verified
if you need to attend an interview
because of your personal circumstances (for example if you have a criminal conviction)
Once you’ve applied you can stay in the UK until you’ve been given a decision, as long as you applied
before your last visa expired.